SOUNDSCAPE SCHOOL FOR THE RECORDING ARTS
Royal Oak, MI
Learn to record, mix, and master like a pro
The Soundscape School for the Recording & Mixing Arts was founded by lead instructor and chief engineer Tim Smith in 2008 and has since then expanded to become one of the most highly respected institutions for audio education in the Midwest. With over thirty years of working professionally in the music industry, Tim laid out the foundation for each of our offered programs. His audio background knowledge spans from analogue to digital recording as well as live sound engineering.
Throughout his career as a performing and recording artist, Tim independently released nine albums worldwide, handled a Michigan based music distribution company (with over 160 Midwest accounts), toured the United States four times as a performing musician, and lastly founded one of the city’s most rapidly growing recording-mixing training facilities to date.
More recently, recording, mixing engineer Tim Smith developed a unique training system for molding and shaping a new breed of sound balance engineers! Needless to say, each of our State Licensed Programs are privately taught by one of our talented instructors, handpicked and personally trained by Tim Smith, on-site at the Soundscape Recording Studio in Royal Oak Michigan.
We offer flexible course schedules catering to the needs of each of our students. There are no prerequisites, previous education, or training required for any of our offered programs. In Addition, students may also take advantage of (unpaid) work experience internship opportunities immediately following successful program completion. Ask about our new Sound Balance Engineer Finance Option!
WHY Study at Soundscape?
- One On One State Licensed Training
- Knowledgeable & Experienced Award-Winning Program Instructors
- All Text Books & Learning Materials Included In The Tuition Cost
- Hands-On Training In A State Of The Art Facility Where National & Local Clients Make Records Twelve Months Out Of The Year
- A Guaranteed Post Grad Work Experience Opportunity Following The Successful Completion Of The Selected Enrolled Program
- Flexible Course Scheduling
- No Crowded Classrooms
- A Comfortable, Creative & Professional Learning Environment
Class Start Dates Include: January, May & September.
Registration for any of our three offered classes is recommended at least two to four months in advance. Registration begins with the “full or half” tuition purchase of a recording arts program. We offer two choices for getting started:
1. Online, which can be done quickly & easily from the comfort of your own home. Shortly after you have made your tuition purchase, A Soundscape Representative will contact you to create a starting date & course schedule.
2. On site, here at The Soundscape. We ask that you first make an appointment. To do so, you may either fill out the “Schedule A Classroom Tour” form located on this page or give us a call directly at: 248.439.0499
We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express & Pay Pal. Please note a 4% processing fee will be added to your final purchase at checkout.
The Soundscape Recording Studio & School For The Recording Arts operates under license by The Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Opportunity (LEO). Each of our offered programs is state-approved.
…This class was exactly what I was looking for. Perfect for anyone interested in making music either at a home studio or working in a professional studio. My main interest is hip hop / rap so a big part of the class that I was wanting to gain more knowledge in was tracking vocals and mixing in general. One of the great things about this program is that I learned so much about many different aspect of making music professionally. It really was a great experience!
…I loved the class! I have been working with music for a long time and this class gave me the chance to interact with it on another level. Tim was a great teacher, he would give me tips that would change my whole way of looking at a mix. My first day of class I realized that I really didn’t know anything about music production but now I’m walking away with way more than I ever thought that I could. I highly recommend this class.